Saturday, June 22, 2013

Irish Potato Famine

I have been on a trek to learn more about Ireland's famines, particularly the one Jonathan Swift referenced in A Modest Proposal and the last famine, known as the Irish Potato Famine. I traveled to Skibbereen yesterday and learned there were a total of 13 famines in Ireland's modern history. However, the potato famine stands out because it led to a mass emigration from Ireland. At one time Ireland's population was over 8 million and now it is down to 3-4 million. The truth is an island the size of Ireland cannot support a large population. The population will most likely not fully recover.  The complexities of this is in relation to families and connectedness within and without families. In Oklahoma many people claim Irish heritage and most likely their ancestors came to America during the Irish Potato Famine. Another point I learned yesterday is that Ireland was actually exporting food during this famine. It probably would not have been enough to sustain the hungry Irish but it did send a message of lack of priorities to the common man.  I am researching stories as well and read an interesting story yesterday about how some people were mistaken for dead during the famine and buried alive.  One three year old boy was buried and found alive three days later. He remained crippled his whole life, most likely from his mother breaking his legs to fit inside the small coffin. I have his name in my notes but can't recall it at the moment. Today, I traveled on to Dingle to visit the library and the Catholic Church. The library has many, many books documenting stories from the famines. I was able to spend time there making notes and learning.  The interesting tie to the Catholic Church is that this particular church in Dingle (probably most for that matter) served as a soup kitchen of sorts for the people. They served soups and breads to the hungry. Mothers brought children in the morning for breakfast before sending them off to school. As a sude note, even today in Ireland, students rarely are served lunch at school. I will post pictures as I switch from my iPad to my phone.  


1 comment:

  1. Oh, my! Thanks for chronicling facts such as these. I didn't know Ireland exported food during the famine, and the shocking story of the boy who was buried alive adds an even more tragic element to this historic period.

    ReplyDelete