Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Mojokerto Arlis and I arrived in Mojokerto today. Landing at the airport in Surabaya, we had no idea who would meet us. I felt like it was family when I looked up and saw the sign reading Arlis and Nancy, being held by two young men from our host school.   The ride to Mojokerto was bumpy and hot, but I didn't notice that because it was such a joy visiting with my host, Tutik and her students.  I saw so much of East Java during the ride, and while the traffic wasn't as heavy, the roads became quite narrow and I was sure we would be sideswiped! But no--we arrived in one piece, ready for the week ahead.  When I got out of the van at our host school, I experienced being a celebrity. Oh my goodness--all the children gathered round and shook my hand and giggled at my pronunciations.   At the school, the boys were giving campaign speeches for class presidents. The students were all out under a large tent listening to campaign speeches. All the candidates spoke enthusiastically, though understood none of it. But the principal explained the process and I was very impressed with the students' willingness to have a democratic process in selecting class leaders. 

No comments:

Post a Comment