Sunday, July 29, 2012

Mojokerto Thursday

Thursday Internet again! How dependent I have become. After touching base with home, I join Mr. Huda for his English class of senior girls. They are looking at the post cards I gave him. They invite me to join them. I give them rose rocks and pencils. Then I observe Mr. Huda teaching the girls close reading skills. After walking around to a couple of other classes, I join Mr. Huda for a second class where girls again are practicing their reading skills.the materials consist of a white board and soft covered notebooks. Students read a short article and answer multiple choice questions. He emphasizes vocabulary and grammar as they read and discuss.  For example, he writes, "quit, quite, and quiet" on the white board and has the students explain the differences.  Classes are generally held outside. Our first class was in a gazebo; our second class was on the front porch of a building. Unfortunately, lots of activity surrounds us. This school is a very noisy place, but the girls are not distracted. They stay focused. I'm not sure my students would fare as well. American schools depend so much on technology and rightly so, but I sense that we could continue educating even with a lot less materially.  Off to the forest with Mr. Nizzam's class to study listening for the national examination. 

No comments:

Post a Comment